After the original Coast Guard radar station was closed and the radar towers were torn down, the Northbrook Park District acquired the property from the Department of the Interior in 1978 and named it the Coast Guard Park.
The park is located on Dundee Road, which is a state-designated Blue Star Memorial Highway. The Blue Star became an icon in World War II to honor men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces. The Blue Star Highway system covers thousands of miles across the Continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii.
The Blue Star Memorial Program has been in existence since 1945 through the National Garden Clubs organization. In 1951, it was expanded to honor “all who have served, are serving, and will serve.”
The Northbrook Garden Club, in partnership with the Park District, created a memorial garden at the Coast Guard Park and a Blue Star Marker was dedicated to honor local veterans on May 9, 2002. The site was re-dedicated by the American Legion Post 719 in 2007.
Garden club members plant and maintain perennials in a red, white and blue theme, with yellow for remembrance. Maintenance begins in April through November, and includes decorating for the Holidays.
The Blue Star Memorial Park is one of several on-going projects of the Northbrook Garden Club for gardeners of all levels. Learn something new or share your expertise.